Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Professional

About Whitney

My husband and I moved to Seattle almost 8 years ago when he was accepted into grad school at Seattle University. Soon after he graduated, we found out we were pregnant with our first and moved to Redmond, where we still live today. We first met at school in southern Utah, transferred to University of Memphis, where we graduated and then he started applying for grad school. I've moved around my whole life as a daughter to a parent in the Air Force but claim to be from Montana, where I graduated high school and most of my family still lives. I have three kids, two girls and a little boy, who we welcomed to the family just a couple short weeks ago.



Interest and Experience in Education

Teaching has always been something in the back of my mind, something I've always thought I could do well and really enjoy. It wasn't until after I had my first daughter that I really started thinking about what I wanted to do when my kids were more independent and in school full time. My degree was in communication and graphic design and I wasn't sure I wanted to make a career out of either. I also wasn't sure if completely changing my career path and going back to school was an option. After doing some research and having the support of my husband behind me, I started applying for teaching programs and grad school. Later, as a youth leader for teenage girls, I was once again reassured about my decision to go pursue a career in teaching. I love working with high school students so I hope to teach at the secondary level with an endorsement in English Language Arts. As I mentioned earlier, I had the opportunity to work with girls ranging in ages 12-18 for about a year and a half. We had weekly activities I had to plan as well as Sunday lessons and sometimes weekend retreats. There were also several weekly meetings I had to attend with other youth leaders and clergy from my church. I loved working with these girls, even on the bad days. I was grateful for the chance to get to know them and be someone they could come to and confide in. I hope to be able to make similar connections with the students I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment